Dry skin brushing is an excellent way to improve the look and the function of your skin and the process will take only minutes a day.
First of all, buy the right kind of brush. The best type of brush for dry skin brushing is a natural bristle brush that will not damage the skin in any way. Choose one made with vegetable bristles. Aim for a brush with bristles that are not too soft but not too stiff and unyielding either. Also look for a brush with a long handle in order that you can reach those hard-to-reach areas such as the middle of your back.
Once you have the brush, you are all set. Dry skin brushing is one of the least expensive forms of alternative healing that you will come across. The best time to brush your skin is in the morning or at night before your shower because you have to disrobe to do it. No clothes allowed! This is also the best time of day to do it because the dead skin cells that are brushed off your body can be washed away in the shower afterwards. Dry skin brushing can be done once a day and even twice a day if you tend to have two showers a day or a shower and a bath.
Make sure your skin remains dry for the duration of the dry skin brushing- thus the name DRY SKIN BRUSHING.
Here is the procedure:
1. The feet contain pressure points that are associated with all of the body’s major organs so begin at the soles of your feet. Brush gently but with a steady movement.
2. Next, brush your ankles, calves and thighs. You should feel the bristles of the brush on your skin but it should feel tingly as opposed to uncomfortable. If it does feel uncomfortable then you are being too rough and need to ease up a bit.
3. Brush across your stomach and then move the brush around to do your buttocks.
4. Now brush your lower back and then move up to do your middle back and then your upper back and your shoulders.
5. Once your shoulders are finished, do the front of your neck and then the back but be gentle.
6. Now it is time to do your arms and hands. Do one arm and hand on one side of your body and then do the same on the other side. The brush should follow a circular type of motion in order to get the very best results.
7. Do your chest last but use caution when you brush around the breasts. Avoid brushing the nipples and all sensitive areas.
Important Points about Dry Skin Brushing
– This is the general procedure for dry skin brushing but you can modify it to suit you. For example, some people prefer to do their feet and calves but then return to do their legs and knees closer to the end, right before they brush their chest. See what works best for you.
– Always brush in the direction of your heart and it is important that you do circular counter-clockwise strokes when you brush your abdomen.
– Dry skin brushing should never be done on the face.
– Fluids are lost from the body when dry skin brushing is done and therefore it is recommended that you drink plenty of water following the procedure.
– Every couple of weeks wash your brush in water and then allow it to air dry.